Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Class and Goal Update: 11/26 & 11/27

Yesterday, we took a look at the Dred Scott vs. Sandford case of 1857. Dred Scott, a slave, had been moved by his master to a free state, but was then moved back to the slave state of Missouri. He took the case to court because he believed he should be free after living in one free state. He lost the case because he was not considered a person, and slavery was becoming a bigger problem at the time. Though Scott lost the case, I believe his lawsuit caused greater actions from abolitionists because they realized slavery could occur anywhere.

Today, we watched a video clip about the Lincoln-Douglas Debates, which occured in Illinois during the senate election. Douglas supported popular sovereignty and that natural rights applied only to white men. Lincoln promoted giving slaves natural rights, even though he did not want to be around them in a social or political setting, as he almost viewed black people as a different species. Though I do not agree with the racism either candidate displayed, I think Lincoln is more correct in recognizing the immediate need for rights, or else the country would become divided.

My goal has been extremely successful. Even over the vacation, I remembered to journal every day. I think my goal only continues until December 5th, so I am getting close!

No comments:

Post a Comment