Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Class and Goal Update: 11/19 & 11/20

Yesterday, we followed up on our reading of Uncle Tom's Cabin to discuss its purpose in the Civil Rights period. When Harriet Beecher Stowe wrote the novel, her goal was to bring awareness to slavery and make Americans relate to and sympathize with the slaves. I did not know that the novel was also performed as a play. I wonder if the storyline has been included in any other works of literature or drama.

Today, we learned about the Kansas Nebraska Act, which organized the territories in the west by allowing them to decide their standpoint on slavery, which was known as "popular sovereignty." This caused many violent conflicts in Kansas between anti-slavery and slavery supporters as they tried to gain support in Congress. There was even an attack in the Senate. I think each of these "battles" should be included as part of the Civil War, because Americans were forcefully fighting each other over the issue of freedom.

I have still been keeping my goal of writing in a journal every day. It has been fairly easy to form a good habit, but I do not think it would be as easy to break a bad habit. Most of my habits have been formed over a long period of time, and I'm not sure I could break them!

No comments:

Post a Comment