Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Class and Goal Update: 11/13 &11/14

For a change, we spent class in the library yesterday. Using an interactive map online, we researched statistics and facts about the US map in the 1800s. It did not surprise me that there were more black people living in the South than in the North, because slavery was so common in the South. I was surprised that there were more women than men in some Northern states. Maybe this contributed to why Northerners wanted to free slaves. Women did not have a lot of rights, and would have promoted equality for all people. We also learned about the Missouri Compromise and the 36-30 line that prevented slavery in new territories to the North.

Today, we took notes on the Missouri Compromise. I do not agree that it was the best decision to try to balance the number of slave states with free states. Whichever type of state was the majority would accurately represent the country, even if it meant an unbalanced Senate. We also took notes on how the Missouri Compromise led to the Mexican War, because the Southerners needed to look west for a new territory that would allow slavery. At the end of class, we watched a short movie and took a quiz.

As far as my 30 day goal, I haven't missed a day yet in my journal. I'm actually finding this goal to be more difficult than I expected. I don't forget to write in my journal, but sometimes I don't have anything interesting to write about.

No comments:

Post a Comment