Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Class Update: 9/26


Today, we explored the new class format of an EdCafe, which is like a conversation in a coffee shop, minus the coffee. We discussed the rights outlined in the 1st Amendment of the Bill of Rights including freedom of speech, religion and media, and the rights to peacefully assemble and petition the government. I started off presenting to a group about freedom of religion. I quickly found that the group became more involved in the discussion if I made connections to our lives today, and how the impact of the right has changed over time. I think this activity would work even better if each conversation leader had to find a current event to include in the discussion to make the situation relatable. I especially enjoyed being a participant in the EdCafe. Because each of my classmates has a different opinion about the rights, they all presented thoughtful questions. For example, one classmate talked about how freedom of speech is related to the freedoms of religion and press, and how those freedoms are needed for our opinions to be acted upon. I think the process might work even better if each group leader prepared multiple questions for the group, in addition to explaining the topic. Occasionally, I felt that the discussion would come to a halt if we did not have something to discuss. I am excited already for the next EdCafe, and find it a relatable way to discuss topics we are learning about in class.

No comments:

Post a Comment