Friday, September 7, 2012

3 Artifacts: If my belongings could talk...

            After fourteen years, I have many possessions and special items, each with its own personal meaning. If people in the future could study my belongings as artifacts, I would have many that would help them capture my personality and lifestyle. I would first save my piano, which holds my love for music. I have taken piano lessons for 10 years, and my piano has helped me as I learn and improve. To me, my piano represents my dedication and creativity. Though it has often been difficult to struggle through a complicated piece, my hours at the piano have helped strengthen my determination and work ethic, even in other areas of my life. Tackling a difficult piece of music has given me the skills and strategies to approach other life challenges with a determined attitude. Playing the piano has also been a way for me to share my creativity and interest in music with others. I often perform for my family and friends so I can communicate who I am as a musician, as well as my emotions. Recitals and performances have gradually become more enjoyable, because I feel as if I am communicating with my audience. Now, I teach piano lessons at my piano, and I can share my knowledge in a new way. My piano shapes me through determination and sharing, and would show others my passion for making music, as well as how it influences my character.
 
            Though seemingly an insignificant artifact, I would select my family recipe box. Though the actual container has changed many times, the favorite recipes remain and are joined by new ones. One of my favorite methods of relaxation is to bake or cook. The collection of recipes symbolizes not only my hobby, but a way that I connect with my family. Most of my favorite recipes are from my aunts and uncles, my grandparents, and other close friends. Making their recipes creates a common topic between us, and helps me become closer to my extended family. I enjoy sharing my recipes with them, and observing the appreciation others feel when I can create something that they enjoy. Whenever I sift through the recipe box, I also recall some of my favorite memories. I remember baking traditional Swedish holiday cookies with my grandmother when I was seven, and teaching my little sister how to bake the perfect chocolate cake. Inside this box are not only the recipes for my favorite foods, but a personal recipe for blending my interests and the valued time I spend with family.
 
            Although I could choose many more potential artifacts, my third item would be my first quilt. I made the quilt on my own about a year ago. The vibrant pink, orange, and yellow fabrics seem to embody my positive nature. Besides showing my creativity and craftsmanship, the quilt demonstrates my desire to try new things. I have always loved sewing, but I had never made a quilt before. My goal was to create something useful while trying a new skill. The task of completing such a difficult and precise project seemed impossible at first, but became easier as I strengthened my own skills and sought help from my aunt and grandmother. To my surprise, I discovered that I truly enjoy quilting. This first quilt captures my love of learning and my artistic skills, which I apply to create something I can use and share.
 
            Many of my belongings will never be studied as artifacts, but if I could show others something about myself, I would want them to be able to identify my creativity, my loves of music, baking, and crafts, and my desire to learn and share throughout life.

No comments:

Post a Comment