Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Class Update: 4/8 & 4/9

Instead of a normal class update, we are posting a mock diary entry today:


June 27, 1832
 
Life here in New York has changed greatly from the time before the Erie Canal. Before the canal was put in, I could only sell products from my farm locally because the cost of shipping was too expensive. Now, all of the traders along the canal want to buy my produce. Every week, I travel to Schenectady to sell my goods to a merchant who will take the produce West to the pioneers. It is amazing to be part of this fast trade, and I am making an incredible amount of money! I admit, I am worried about the effects the Erie Canal will have on New York. I hear that cholera has infected multiple ports. I do not want the riders on the barges to bring dangerous diseases to my own family. I also fear the crooks and thieves the barges bring. Someone stole five crates of apples from my neighbor's porch last fall. I want to become more involved with the profitable business of the canal, but I think I should protect my family. As long as disease and crime do not harm my family, I am pleased to have the Erie Canal in my home state.

No comments:

Post a Comment